PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT (Buildings Organization)
Date : 01/01/2021 - 31/12/2023 | Sector: PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
163 years History of Public Works Department
- The State Engineering Department was the first public sector in Tamil Nadu to protect the people and the public sector, as the Tamils refer to it as “The oldest citizen of the country.
- Established in 1858 as the Madras Public Works Department, we should be proud to say that it has been 163 years since its establishment, with many branches, to grow and improve, working relentlessly to fulfill the important tasks of the public and the development of the country. This history is written to the general public with some historical evidence about the origin and development of the industry.
FUNCTIONS OF PWD
- Public Works Department is the oldest technical department playing a vital role in implementation of Government Schemes and building works of various Government Departments with technical expertise in Engineering in an efficient manner for the growth, development of Tamil Nadu and for the benefit of the people from all categories. Creation of capital assets of the Government, glorious and valuable monuments and public buildings are the prime activities of this department.
- Public Works Department, functions as the parent department for all other engineering Departments. With utmost interest in the healthy and fast growth of the Nation, this department is making achievements in constructing the buildings of various Government Departments with motivation, architectural value and hard work. Public Works Department playing very important role in carrying out the maintenance and renovation of Government buildings.
- Department is vested with the responsibility of Planning, Designing and Construction of Public Buildings and allied works in accordance with needs and requirements of various Government Departments of the State Government.
- This Organisation also undertakes construction of Buildings and other works for the State and Central Government Undertakings, Corporations etc. Besides these, construction and erection of Monuments and Memorials are also carried out by this Organisation. Further renovation and restoration of heritage buildings are also being carried out by this Department.
- Execution of any calamity reconstruction works like emergency works like Emergency Tsunami Reconstruction Project building works, execution of Local area developments scheme works are also carried out under Member of Legislative Assembly and Member of d M.P. Funds.
- The maintenance of Inspection Bungalows and Circuit Houses, Hon’ble Judges, Ministers and other VVIP’s Bungalows are also carried out by this Organisation.
- Local Valuation of Buildings are carried out. Structural Stability Certificate for Cinema Theatres and Public Buildings and Reasonableness of Rent Certificate for the Private Buildings occupied by the Government Offices, are issued by the Buildings Organisation.
- To undertake works of erection of stage, Barricading arrangements, towards lighting and Sound arrangements, providing helipad and issue of Stability Certificate. Electrical works execution for all Government functions & VVIP Visits.
implementation of Government Schemes and building works of various Government Departments with technical expertise in Engineering
How To Apply
Public Works Department playing very important role in carrying out the maintenance and renovation of Government buildings